[time-nuts] Mechanical 1PPS Oscillator Disciplining

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Jan 10 22:35:04 UTC 2015

Hi:

You can see the 4 nodes on the Chinese Spouting bowl in my video at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68w3OrPztE

When I got it from Cliff Stoll he had recommended using a wet towel to keep the bowl from moving but that damped the
vibrations.
I got 4 stick-on feet and placed them at the nodes seen in the video above and it works great.
If the bowl is supported anywhere but the nodes the oscillations are damped, just like for a crystal.
http://www.ted.com/talks/clifford_stoll_on_everything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Stoll
http://www.kleinbottle.com/ <- it looks like he no longer carries the spouting bowl.

Mail_Attachment --