[time-nuts] L1 and L2 frequencies

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jan 14 17:29:47 UTC 2015

> I have some questions on GPS and GNSS.

Note GNSS is the generic word for any satellite based navigation system. GPS is one of GNSS so you don't actually need to say GPS *and* GNSS.

> Do all the civilian GPS receivers only operate on the L1 frequency?

No. All the cheap ones do, though.

> Are there any GPS frequency standards out there that use L1 and L2 and that can be purchased by non-military customers?

Yes. Almost all high-end survey receivers are L1 and L2. Check the web. There are hundreds to choose from.

> I am playing with the new Lea-M8T receiver.
>
> How do I know what satellites are GPS, GLONASS, Galileo etc.

See "appendix B Satellite Numbering" of your "u-blox M8 Receiver Description" manual.

> From my understanding GLONASS have different SV numbers but not 100% sure.

Each GNSS system has its own internal numbering scheme, but a multi-GNSS receiver has to disambiguate among them with their own scheme. Again, see the wonderful table on page 272.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

/tvb