[time-nuts] L1 and L2 frequencies

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 15 08:59:37 UTC 2015

Brooke,

The traditional GPS has C/A and P(Y) on L1 and P(Y) on L2.
Most Civilian GPSes only uses C/A.
Advanced receivers can also use P(Y) code, since the P-code is known,
the hand-off to P code is known and the way that P-code is encrypted
into Y-code is known (XOR with another code, called A-code or W-code in
different sources). Modern receivers is able to do both code and carrier
phase observations on the P(Y) code signals.
The military goal of this "break-in" is not lost, as those receivers
still rely on the C/A code and that is easy to jam. Also, the "break-in"
comes at a signal quality loss and the advancement of methods have
reduced this loss.

The benefit of dual frequency observation is that ionspheric shift can
be almost completely taken out of the error budget, adjusting both code
and carrier phase observations. Then working on the integer ambiguity
you can get carrier phase observations with accurate pseudo-ranges.
Carrier-phase observations has a much higher precision to them, so that
gives a very high precision and using a good reference network
corrections can be adjusted to give good absolute position.

If civilian receivers where to implement L2C and L5 which now is
becoming common, they would gain quite a bit of precision in a similar
fashion. For car navigation, the GPS would know which lane you are in.

Cheers,
Magnus