[time-nuts] L1 and L2 frequencies

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 16 10:33:48 UTC 2015

Björn,

On 01/16/2015 12:01 AM, "Björn Gabrielsson" wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>> I naturally meant with a reasonable price-tag, sorry for being sloppy on
>> that detail, and I do know that there is vendors for those signals.
>>
>> If we had dual or triple frequency receivers below 500 USD things would
>> start to be interesting. If high-volume kits would be just twice as
>> expensive, it would be possible to consider for more luxury models.
>
> Receiver with 24 universal channels each of GPS L1/L2/L2C/L5 is cheaper
> than a entry level TCXO-based 19" GPSDO (M300GPS @ Dustin). And about the
> same price as a modern Loran receiver. What is a reasonable commercial
> price?
>
>   But yes, multi frequency GNSS is much more expensive than the Oncore,
> Ublox traditionally used in a GPSDO. Is the performance gain worth the
> cost? Certainly not for all but a few.
>
> On the oscillator side, we consider everything from XO, TCXO, OCXO, DOCXO,
> to devar based designs - BVAs and others, and rubidiums, cesiums and
> Masers. What are reasonable price-tags for oscillators compared to various
> time transfer capable receiver?

Well, I think you missed my point. My point being that when
multifrequency receivers would become more commodity, they could be more
commodity for time-nuts, time-equipment in general as well as other
uses. For advanced hobby-ist use, they are reachable, but they are still
expensive for many commercial uses, especially when considering the
price upscale you have as you integrate an OEM board into a product.

But beside that, what boards should one look at today?

Cheers,
Magnus