[time-nuts] L1 and L2 frequencies

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 16 16:41:23 UTC 2015

Hi,

Well, if you can avoid reception from ground you avoid both handling
reflexes as well as the thermal noise (300K vs. 3K).

You can't have higher antenna gain, since you want to receive fairly
omni-directional above the horizon, with maybe the first 5-10 degrees
nulled out.

What however is important is the noise-figure and gain of the LNA in the
antenna. You want sufficient gain to make sure that antenna cable
damping is handled and that the GPS signal is sufficiently above the
internal noise of the actual receiver. I have installed low-loss cable
to make sure the damping in manageable.

Cheers,
Magnus