[time-nuts] question Alan deviation measured with Timelab and counters

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 18 13:44:18 UTC 2015

Hi

Ok, I didn’t think I’d seen the plots before.

I agree that the plots look like “counter limited” data. That’s a fine explanation at the shorter Tau’s. I also agree that some sort of periodic “stuff” is getting into one of the signals and creating the ripple. What I’m wondering about (and what makes me question the setup) is the fact that the data is still “counter limited” at the mid to low parts in 10^-13 level at just a bit over 100 seconds. A telecom  Rb is doing pretty well to be at 1x10^-12 at 100 seconds. Most GPSDO’s are doing well to be mid parts in 10^-12 at that tau. Simply put, the data continues to be counter limited to a pretty low point.

Bob