[time-nuts] Racal Dana 1992 universal counter

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:33:41 UTC 2015

Did you notice the message in this email list about an Arduino based GPIB
interface?  The advantage is the cost which could be under $10 and that
many of us already have the parts.  The disadvantage is you have to
assemble it yourself and it works for only one instrument on the bus at a
time.

If you Goole "arduino gpib" you get LOTS of hits.  It seems this idea was
re-invented about 100 times.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX <caf at omen.com> wrote:

> I have the following instruments on my GPIB bus:
>     Tektronix 2712 spectrum analyzer
>      HP 3586b selective voltmeter
>     Racal Dana 1992 counter
>     Advantest U3641 specturm analyzer (currently inop/offline)
>
> I am using a 64 bit Fedora Linux and a PCI card to run this 50 year old
> protocol.
> The card cost more than the motherboard and CPU.
> Do a Google on Linux GPIB.
>
> Over the last week I have been using the 2712 and the GPIB bus to
> store the output of the spectrum ananyzer.
>
> You can download my gpib stuff from ftp.omen.com
>

> On 01/22/2015 04:52 AM, Chris Howard wrote:
>
>> I have used the Prologix USB GPIB device with mine.
>>

>> On 1/22/2015 6:14 AM, christophenacci at virgilio.it wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>> i am looking for an interface pc card for a Racal-Dana Model 1992
>>> Nanosecond Universal Counter Timer 1.3 GHz.Please could someone give me
>>> some suggestions about a card that might suite this counter?
>>> I was told that a GIPB-USB interface controller should work (for
>>> instance ADLINK usb-3488A IEEE-488)  but i'd like to be 100% sure.Has
>>> someone maybe direct experience with that?
>>> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>>> Chris Nacci

>> and follow the instructions there.
>>

> --
>      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com
> Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications
>   Omen Technology Inc      "The High Reliability Software"
> 10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   503-614-0430

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California