[time-nuts] Help with my ADEV measurement setup

Dan Watson watsondaniel3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:48:36 UTC 2015

Oddly enough I do have a PPS output from the TCXO I was measuring. It's on
a little board I made and there is a PicDiv right on it. I'll have to play
around with that.

I did notice the aliasing issue trying to measure a 12MHz crystal. It
appeared to have incredible stability and accuracy for a plain old XO...
Also it has a frequency offset of over 1kHz, and I noticed that I had to
manually type in the correct initial frequency during setup to have
meaningful data in the frequency difference view. i.e, 12001053 instead of
12E6. But of course with a marginally stably oscillator, that poses a
problem. How long do I wait to find a mean frequency to type in...? It
makes total sense why this is so in TI mode, but still it's one more thing
to deal with.

I think I'll stick with frequency mode for most things. Many of the
oscillators I want to measure are right around 10^-8 or 10^-9, and I'd hate
to constantly be fighting the noise floor of the instrument. I'll treat the
data from frequency mode as relative and that should get me what I need. At
least until I own a better instrument.

Thanks

Dan