[time-nuts] Leap second results: WWVB

James Flynn james.flynn at csun.edu
Wed Jul 1 13:37:08 UTC 2015

Scott Newell <newell+timenuts at ...> writes:

> My linux parallel port WWVB 'scope got a bit confused at the leap
second:

I have coded a WWVB receiver according to the published standard. It is
all homebrew with an embedded processor and disciplined OXCO.

I did not do any display shots (didn't think anyone would be interested)
but it gave the "L" leap second warning yesterday and went 23:59:60 30 JUN
15 before ticking over to July 1.

I built this over ten years ago and it has passed through a number of LS
events no problem.

Since the receiver uses a disciplined OXCO, it only decodes the time
signal once per day to ensure time sync and check for warning bits (DST
and LS).  The rest of the time it ticks along according to the rules. It
uses the LS warning bit to switch the time incrementing routine to a
special LS version in the last minute of the last hour of the day.