[time-nuts] beaglebones, time, web services

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jul 6 01:06:53 UTC 2015

Hi

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 3:17 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 7/5/15 8:43 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi

>>> Prototype is 6 pixels to demonstrate concept and work out the bugs. Long term, probably several dozen.
>>>
>>> Time Accuracy? better than a second
>>>
>>> Turns out, having done some experimenting, the real issue is angular accuracy. RC servos aren't all that great, and have significant jitter (probably not an issue in their design application which tends to have good mechanical low pass filtering).  They're cheap and easy to use (as in, I had a bunch in the garage I could cannibalize out of another project).
>>>
>>> But if you have 3x3 inch mirrors (call it 7.5 cm), and want to create a picture on the wall that's, say, 10 meters away, you really need angular pointing of 0.007 radians.. that's about 1/2 degree.  An RC servo has roughly 270 degree rotation corresponding to 256 steps of PWM (in the Arduino implementation).
>>
>> Probably a good place to use the “drive a stepper as a selsyn trick. Steppers are dirt cheap these days and you can either program the drive yourself or get chips that will do it for you. You have essentially zero load and zero acceleration. There is no need for anything big.
>>
> Indeed, microstepping might be the way to go in a production system.
>
> But steppers don't have convenient mechanical mounting stuff like RC servos do. I could assemble my prototype with zip ties, double sided foam tape and a few screws.   For a stepper scheme I'd need to design and build (e.g. fabricate) bracketry.  It's also more complex than just plugging a servo into a pin on the Arduino; that's pretty easy.

*Small*steppers (which is all you need) don’t take much in the way of mounts. More or less that’s why they invented 3D printing. A printed mount is plenty good enough in this case.

> And then you also get into the "do you really want to use an arduino, why not program a X microcontroller  on a custom board you've designed for the purpose with all the driver components, etc.”

Feature creep - that’s my middle name …...

> If I were building up a full scale system, that's probably what I'd do.  BUT, in the mean time, my 6 RC servo az/el thingys are good to fool with and get a feel for various configurations and what the design issues on a larger system would be.

A *lot* of home built milling machines are lashed together out of steppers with various drivers. It is a bit of a step up from R/C servos, but not *that* bit a step.

> The virtue of the BBB and Arduino scheme is mostly that it can be cobbled together without much work. And you can leverage large consumer equipment volumes for the actuators, servos are <$10 each in any sort of quantity; it would be hard to find a packaged motor/gear train with a feedback pot for that much (leaving aside surplus).

That’s not all that different than the way home made mills are built.

> I used to have a box of small 200 step/rev motors (floppy drive positioners), but they had a weird sized shaft, so we're back to the fabrication of mounts: the servo has a nice splined nylon shaft that mates with cheap other injection molded stuff.

3D printing ….You *must* have a friend with a printer ….