[time-nuts] Loran and SRS FS700 in the UK

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jul 11 15:22:13 UTC 2015

Hi

One thing to be careful about:

GPS runs at a level that is (depending on the measure) > 10 to > 1000X better than
Loran. Both ultimately trace back to a national standard over very long time periods.
Eventually that is the limit rather than the accuracy of the transmission medium.

Having a “second opinion” is indeed a really good idea. Loran has the advantage of
being a totally independent system. That makes it a good candidate for checking with.
You ultimately will come up with a “which one is correct?” sort of question. With only two
inputs, the default answer will be “GPS is right ..”.

Bob