[time-nuts] Any other useful purpose for Austron 2100F or SRS FS700 receivers in US

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Jul 11 22:11:42 UTC 2015

--------
In message <264CF93F-7B18-4106-901A-0EDFD93C1319 at earthlink.net>, James Robbins
writes:

>Does anyone know of any other genuinely useful purpose to which
>the Austron 2100F, SRS FS700, etc receivers can be put in the US
>since the demise of Loran?  Inquiring minds would like to know.

The 2100F can be used as a 24 hour clock and has a nice-ish large
LCD display, which is about the best thing you can use it for, even
if you do have Loran-C signals - it's not a great performer.

The FS700 is basically the same design as the Infamous Dave Mills
LORAN-C timing receiver, gated integrators, and since I have serial
#2 of those, I have never felt like paying eBay prices for a FS700[1].

In theory one *could* retune the FS700's RF stages and use it as a
phase-tracking VLF receiver, for instance for WWVB, but you'd get
much better performance and much more fun with an SDR approach.

Poul-Henning

[1] If anybody in Europe wants to have some *real* fun with Loran-C
receivers, they should look at the "Locus LRS" receivers on eBay.

Not only are they much cheaper than the FS700's they are also *much*
more advanced:  The LRS was built to replace the Austron 5000 PDP/11
controlled monitoring receivers at the LORSTAs.