[time-nuts] Modulation Domain Analysis

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Sun Jul 12 18:59:24 UTC 2015

Bob, I'm the Tektronix Application Engineer who posted about this topic
about a month ago. Sorry for the delay in responding to your question
about the B channel divider feature.

Since the TVC501 measures period, it will have a very low resolution
when measuring higher frequencies (such as 10 MHz). Using the divide by
1000 feature produces a proportionally greater resolution. The offset
feature allows the high count to be translated down to the D/A converter
range, so that moderately small changes in that frequency are converted
into voltage changes.

The TVC501 was introduced when analog (and early digital) oscilloscopes
didn't have time qualified triggering. One key use for this instrument
was to provide an analog trigger signal for such oscilloscopes based on
period or time internal. Another use was to allow the user to use an
oscilloscope to measure the settling time behavior of PLL's up to the
divider maximum input frequency.

My office is moving over the next month or so to a new location. Since
the TVC501 was introduced before PDF and other user document formats
were available, I'm pretty sure I don't have some old floppy disk with
support documents. I would have to get assistance from others to read a
floppy disk these days anyway! There is a small possibility that I have
some old printed TVC501 application information which didn't get
discarded during my last office move, and I will look for any such
material during our move.

--
Bill Byrom N5BB