[time-nuts] Wikipedia and Residual Phase Noise

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 13 19:24:16 UTC 2015

Dear Ulrich,

Indeed. I think it's really not meaningful of saying it is additive,
just as it is not meaningful to say residual. Any buffering/amplifying
stage will add phase noise (and amplitude noise). We will have
conversion between AM and PM to some degree. For higher quality stuff,
the levels are very low such that qualitative measurements becomes very
hard, at least compared to oscillator measurements, also it is to it's
nature a differential measurement, so the topology will be different.

The most sensitive measurements I've seen use interferometric or
cross-correlation techniques, as Enrico shown. You have any further
insights?

Cheers,
Magnus