[time-nuts] Loran C returning to a station near you...

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 14 06:30:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

There is indeed investigations going on about what the cost of receivers
would be etc. A benefit of Loran-C is that relative jamming/spoofing
resistance can be had without the need of opening up for keyed
receivers. This helps for non-military and non-government operations.
Now, there is tamper-proof GPS receivers that can use the keyed signal
for increased signal stability, but I wonder to what degree they are
deployed. Then, naturally the military can have use for these receivers.
Work is in progress, but we do not yet know the outcome, but they do ask
about what it would cost and what performance one would get. It will be
interesting to follow.

While LORAN-C is "sold" as jamming/spooing resistant, that is based on
the assumption that nobody would raise a 200 m tower undetected. True,
but we now know that it was done for that purpose. The safety is
relative, in that it takes quite a bit of more infrastructure compared
to the jamming of GPS, and that lies in the wavelength of the signal
than anything else.

Cheers,
Magnus