[time-nuts] Firmware and antenna for Stanford Research FS700 Loran C frequency standard

Ole Stender Nielsen olstni at mail.tele.dk
Thu Jul 16 07:05:55 UTC 2015

I use a home-made untuned loop antenna with 4 windings of 2.5 mm2
insulated wire on a 80 x 80 cm wooden frame, and with a grounded base
pre-amplifier mounted on the antenna frame. A schematic is enclosed for
you to copy.
The pre-amplifier is powered through the cable, and loads the FS700
input as required.
I live about 290 km from the island of Sylt, and get nice noise margin
figures from the FS700, normally about 40 dB, often up to 46 dB.

For larger distances to the transmitter site, you may need to insert
additional amplification between the grounded base pre-amplifier and the
FS700, and that requires that you provide power to the pre-amplifier
through a bias Tee, and that you load the FS700 input to keep it happy.
A while after I installed the antenna in the attic, I added additional
amplification, not due to a low signal level, but because I wanted to
use the loop antenna for other longwave services too, and that required
that I had to split out the signal.

Best regards
Ole