[time-nuts] OCXO with ADEV of 1E-13 on Pluto Mission

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 16 18:54:35 UTC 2015

On 7/16/15 8:17 AM, John Stuart wrote:
> Here is an interesting link to the New Horizons Mission to Pluto radio
> system design.
> Note last section describes an OCXO with ADEV = 1E-13 at 1s, and aging rate
> of <1E-11 per day.

That's no ordinary OCXO. That's a USO made at APL.  The crystal is in a
special low stress holder, in a vacuum bottle with a very good
temperature controller, etc.

> http://www.uhf-satcom.com/amateurdsn/Paper-969.pdf
>

> I wonder if their spares will show up on eBay?
Nope, they get repurposed onto subsequent spacecraft.

GRAIL spares are being used in GRACE follow on, etc.

They are sort of the ultimate in crystal oscillators (at least
domestically produced in the US).