[time-nuts] 10MHz Square to Sine Wave Conversion

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Thu Jul 16 23:27:39 UTC 2015

Skipp wrote:

>The GPSDO I recently acquired outputs a 10 MHz square wave. I'd like
>to convert it to a sine wave and I am looking for suggestions

A simple Tee network works well (see below).  The input resistor can
be chosen from 50 to around 200 ohms to suit the particular output
circuit used in your unit.  As the value is reduced, the sine wave
output will increase (until you hit the current limit of the GPSDO
output stage).  Use the lowest value that still gives good distortion
performance.  If the sinewave output amplitude is too large, increase
the input resistor.

If the sinewave output amplitude is too small, you can either add a
linear amplifier after the filter, or run the square wave from the
GPSDO into several high-current CMOS gates in parallel and then
through the Tee network (in that case, you would use one input
resistor from each of the output gates rather than tie the gate
outputs directly to each other).

Best regards,

Charles