[time-nuts] Firmware and antenna for Stanford Research FS700 Loran C frequency standard

Ole Stender Nielsen olstni at mail.tele.dk
Sat Jul 18 08:45:31 UTC 2015

I had a few LM394CN left and used one for the pre-amp.
I would try to use another low-noise transistor. Furthermore, you do not
necessarily need a matched pair. The transistor on the right in the
schematic is merely used for biasing the amplifying transistor on the
left. The prices for matched pairs can get ridiculously high, so I too
would try to look for alternatives. If you still want a matched pair,
there's the SSM2212 from Analog Devices, which is priced lower than the
MAT12. You may also be able to find the earlier SSM2210, which now is
obsolete. Another alternative is the THAT300 from THAT Corporation,
which has 4 low-noise NPNs in a 14-pin DIP (great for experiments...)
Useful single NPN transistors I can think of would likely be the BC337
or perhaps the 2SC3324 which both have low Rbb, and they are quite cheap.

The "Ca. 3 Ohm" was indeed the estimated input resistance, including the
series resistance of the input capacitor as I recall.

Best regards
Ole