[time-nuts] Would this work as a frequency standard? Would it damage the Stanford Research function generator?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jul 20 20:19:59 UTC 2015

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 15:49:33 +0100
"Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)" <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> Does this seem viable, or have I overlooked something? I'm not looking to
> build a lab standard - just have a bit of fun.

This should work. At least I don't see a reason why it shouldn't.

You get the I/Q value from the lock-in amplifier, out of which you
get \phi, which you then can feed into your PLL loop and control
the DS345. There are two things that might be a bit tricky: getting
first lock with a weak signal (ie if your antenna has not enough
gain or selectivity) and the dead time in the control loop you get
by going over GBIP two times. The first one should be easy to fix
with a tuned magnetic loop and some pre-amps. The later can be fixed
by using a lower corner frequency of the loop filter, if you see
any oscillation of the control signal.

			Attila Kinali
--
I must not become metastable.