[time-nuts] ground plane for cheap helix antennas?

Alan Ambrose alan.ambrose at anagram.net
Mon Jul 27 12:00:41 UTC 2015

Hi Attila, Bob et al

>>> Generally speaking, you do want satellites as low on the horizon as possible, because they give you the most accurate x/y position solution.

>>> The idea is to get a location where you can see at least 2/3 of those tracks when they are above about 20 degrees to the horizon.

>>> Hint: the holdover estimator does not handle warmup as well as it should

Thanks for the interesting responses. Especially interesting re importance of accurate location / using low elevation sats / sky view / warm-up. Getting the optimum accuracy partly sounds like a multi-dimensional optimisation problem to me - I might just write the code for that :)

I am enjoying the discussion atm on the list immensely :)

Alan