[time-nuts] Lab upgrade

Robert LaJeunesse lajeunesse at mail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:49:09 UTC 2015

One of the cheap and dirty ways to find a short is current tracing. Use a voltage and current limited source and a matching detector to find where the current flows. I've used a current limited DC supply as the source and, for the detector, an old DVM with 10uV resolution. For an AC approach a simple audio oscillator (or function generator) works nicely as the source, while a the detector starts with an audio playback tape head (from an old VCR), then some sort of amplifier-speaker, or maybe just an oscilloscope. If you are lucky you have an old HP logic pulser and current tracer set that do the same thing...

Bob L.