[time-nuts] Using CPLD/FPGA or similar for frequency

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jun 11 01:45:33 UTC 2015

HI
> On Jun 10, 2015, at 3:28 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

> alan.ambrose at anagram.net said:
>> How about a 1pS resolution TIC? :)
>
> An alternative way to describe that sort of problem is
>  How accurately can you locate an edge?
>
> I haven't looked carefully at the Spartan 3E.  You might be able to run a
> signal along a column through a slow path and clock the whole column at the
> same time.  Then sort out how far it got.  That "slow path" is basically a
> delay line with many taps.

The delay line in an FPGA approach might get you to 20 ps. There is a lot of hand
waving in the calibration process to get there. ( = figuring out that state A came before
state B is based on things that are difficult to prove).

If you do get it calibrated, you then find that it’s sensitive to both supply voltage and
to temperature. The supply thing you can take care of with a good regulator. The “shifts
all over the place when you put your thumb on it” T/C is not quite as easy to deal with.

A TDC using an R/C and an ADC is a *much* easier way to go.

> It would take some experimentation, and maybe some duplicate logic for run
> time calibration.
>

>> Or a >12 digit frequency counter? :) :)
>
> 12 digits is easy.  Just wait long enough.
>
> So that turns into 2 games:
>  How fast can you count?
>  How many digits can you get in 1 second?
>
> Here is a toy that would be useful:
>  assume you have a 10 MHz reference clock.
>  make a design that captures something like a PPS and spits out the
> time-stamp on a serial port.  I think Tom has a PIC that does that.  The idea
> here is to use a faster clock so you get better resolution.  How much
> resolution can you get with pure digital logic?  (no delay lines)

It depends on how much money you want to pay for your FPGA :)

If you get one that will do both edges of a 600 MHz clock and run two phases,
you can get to around 1/2 ns. Can you *believe* that 1/2 ns? well ….. Do you want
to spend more money on a chip than a 500 ps counter would cost at auction ….

Bob