[time-nuts] PPS for NTP Server - How Close Is "Good Enough"?

EB4APL eb4apl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:07:01 UTC 2015

Hi Ed,

I have started another thread under the name "NTG550AA 1 PPS mod" for
finding the subject easier and I include here my thoughts about this
modification.

I am the one who discovered the 1PPS pulse while troubleshooting a
NTG550AA.  For me I don't imagine any future use of the X8 Chip signal
but having the even second output could be useful, at least to see the
difference with the 1 PPS. Instead of removing the 1/2 PPS output and
missing this signal, my plan is to recycle the 9.8304 MHz output
circuitry and connector, the circuits are almost identical.  So I will
cut the trace that goes from TP14 to U405 pin 6 and also use a wire to
joint TP14 to TP33 so the 1PPS will be at J5.  I think that I will do
the modification this weekend and will post the results and pictures.

I have not measured the time difference yet, but I made a partial
schematic of the board for my troubleshooting and there I see that the
1/2 PPS signal is synchronized with the 19.6608 signal that is the
source for the 8X Chip ( 9.8304 MHz), this is done in U405B . The period
of this signal is about 50 ns and this is the origin of the 1/2 PPS
width.  The 19.6608 MHz oscillator is phase locked somewhere to the 10
MHz oscillator thus it is as stable as this one.

I think that using the other half of U405, which actually is used to
divide by 2 the 19.6608 MHz signal, could render the 1 PPS synchronized
with the 1/2 PPS and also with the same width but probably  this is
overkill and an easier way to adjust this is to use the command which
sets the antenna cable delay and compensate for the difference.

Checking the specs documentation of a very close cousin of this board,
the GSBW50AA, I found the requirement for the even second pulse: "+/-1
μs traceable to and synchronous with GPS Time Even_Second with at least
one satellite in view".  In fact this is something not easy to measure
unless you have a calibrated 1 PPS source.
Another spec states " The falling edge of Even_Second shall occur 0-5 ns
after the falling edge of SYS_CLK." (the 9.8304 MHz signal that is used
as the clock reference in the CDMA system).
This specs are the reason why the even second pulse is synchronized to
the SYS_CLK as I said before.

So my opinion is that the difference that you measured is not relevant
because we can not be sure about the even second accuracy and if we need
to be sure of  the absolute time we will need to compare the 1 PPS
output against a calibrated source, maybe another GPSDO that has been
compared with a known standard and compensated for the antenna cable
delay.  Of course for a NTP server you have more than enough.

As I said in the other post I have a partial schematic of the board, ask
me if you want a copy.
Best regards,
Ignacio