[time-nuts] Using CPLD/FPGA or similar for frequency

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 16 03:26:09 UTC 2015

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> Since the internal PLL’s have jitter in the 20 to 30 ps RMS range, that
> limits a lot of  the data you get.

I haven't looked recently, but I doubt if much has changed.  Xilinx uses DLLs
rather than PLLs.

They have a long chain of buffers and a giant multiplexor to select the right
tap.

Does anybody have data on what the "jitter" actually looks like?  I'd expect
several blurry peaks, with the spacing between peaks being the step size of
the delay/mux chain and the blur being wider if there is more random logic.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.