[time-nuts] Using CPLD/FPGA or similar for frequency

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jun 16 16:45:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 20:26:09 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Does anybody have data on what the "jitter" actually looks like?  I'd expect
> several blurry peaks, with the spacing between peaks being the step size of
> the delay/mux chain and the blur being wider if there is more random logic.

Quick googling revieled these two papers:

[1] "Jitter issues in clock conditioning with FPGAs",
by Aloisio, Giordano, Izzo, 2010
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/RTC.2010.5750386

[2] "Phase Noise Issues With FPGA-Embedded DLLs and PLLs in HEP Applications",
by Aloisio, Giordano, Izzo, 2011
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2011.2143727

Both contain phase noise plots for different configurations of DLLs
of Virtex 5. I haven't read them yet, so I cannot say anything about
their content.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.