[time-nuts] Modulation Domain Analysis

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:50:21 UTC 2015

There is a commonly used kind of pulse train analyzer that records and then
dumps timestamps (absolute and/or delta) of low-to-high and high-to-low
transitions for analysis on a computer. Is there a name for this method? I
first saw it being used in the 80's to debug and reverse-engineer
broadcast-over-POTS codecs and GCR floppies, but I'm sure it existed well
before that.

This is similar to e.g. Tom's PICPET but we didn't use it for precision
timestamping - we used it as a kind of generic computer front end for
various pulse train modulation analysis.

Maybe "Time-Stamping Counter" is the generic term for the device? Is there
a phrase for data recovery/inspection using the recorded data?

Tim N3QE