[time-nuts] Testing the Datum LPRO Rb oscillator

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Jun 17 23:29:43 UTC 2015

Generally, rubidiums do quite well when left powered down.  They
don't use the extremely hard vacuums characteristic of cesium
standards.

Other than the usual electronic component failures, the only thing
that usually happens to cause a rubidium to stop working is the
lamp gets blackened by rubidium condensing out on the glass in a
the beam path.  This causes the signal strength to drop to a point
where the servo can no longer lock.

The usual cure is to heat the bulb carefully until the rubidium is
once again all vaporized, and let it cool.... I use a hot air
gun to supply the heat... Once the bulb is cleared, you are good to
go for another "lifetime".

-Chuck Harris