[time-nuts] Motorola Oncore UT+ firmware upgrade & backup power questions

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jun 21 11:41:20 UTC 2015

Hi

I think there is some confusion here between the almanacs / ephemeris and the
firmware. The Oncore saves the most recent GPS information (almanac and ephemeris)
in RAM. If that’s battery backed up, it re-loads it at boot. The firmware is in flash memory.
Re-programming the flash is (at best) a “return to vendor” process. Given how long the
parts have been out. There is no guarantee that any given part will have enough silicon to
handle this or that rev of the firmware.

Bob