[time-nuts] magnetic electronic components

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 18:02:53 UTC 2015

On 6/23/15 4:25 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> "Experimental Methods in RF Design" has a half-dozen pages specifically on
> the choices of powdered iron and ferrite materials, and lots of working
> circuits and designs with measurements. Aka EMRFD.
> http://www.arrl.org/shop/Experimental-Methods-in-RF-Design
>
> Here in the USA, iron powder and ferrite cores of many different materials,
> sizes, and a few shapes are available from Amidon and kitsandparts.com.
> Many useful ferrite cores for multi-turn transformers and chokes, are sold
> as "EMI beads" by Mouser and Newark and other mainline distributors. I
> don't know too much about easy availability in EU.

I don't know that I'd recommend Amidon as a source.  Back when
mail-order was king, Amidon did hams a real service by buying in bulk
and selling in small quantities.  The price was high, but there was no
other source.

Amidon has gone through a lot of business changes over the last 20-30
years (making magnetic tape heads and then not, overseas manufacturing,
etc.).

They're not the same company as Bill Amidon sitting in his garage in the
San Fernando Valley putting cores in little paper or plastic envelopes
with that folded up tissue paper instruction and data sheet with all the
handy design equations and graphs.

It used to be tough to get databooks from large manufacturers as a
hobbyist. The sales reps would hand them out after qualifying you as a
potential lead. Bill did everyone a great service in essentially
redrawing and republishing all the needed data in a handy form.

These days, most of the parts, (e.g. made by Fair-rite,Ferroxcube,
Philips), etc are available from Mouser, DigiKey and other distributors
readily.

Furthermore, the design information is readily available on the web
(e.g. from Fair-rite) or in various mailing lists.