[time-nuts] magnetic electronic components

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jun 26 12:34:15 UTC 2015

Moin!

Thanks for all the answers and sorry for my late reply.
I tried to at least skim trough the suggestions before.

I would like to reply in one big mail instead of many small
ones, in order not to clutter the mailinglist too much.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 00:15:29 +0100
Adrian Godwin <artgodwin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Although it's published by a vendor, this applications manual has a lot of
> useful information.
>
> http://www.we-online.com/web/en/electronic_components/produkte_pb/fachbuecher/Trilogie.php

Even though, I do not own a copy of The Trilogy, I know of it.
It does a good job of covering the basics. But unfortunately, it
does not contain much about the theoretical background, so does
not help much in understanding how to work around the physical limits
of cores. Other than that, I would recommend this book to every practicioning
electrical engineer.

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:56:02 -0500
Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> You have two choices:
>
> 1) Read the physics stuff
>
> Sorry about that ….

Yes. I came to a similar conclusion. What irks me is, that this is
the conclusion I came to with many topics in electrical engineering.
At some point people decide that it is either too difficult to deal with
or a solved problem and ignore it completely from then on. And if you
are an engineer who tries to actually understand things instead of just
repeating what some senior engineer told you long long ago, then you
run up against walls. :-(

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 20:24:14 -0700
Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> the best, and probably the only, book is the one by E.C. Snelling.
> http://www.amazon.com/Soft-ferrites-properties-applications-Snelling/dp/0592027902
>
> 1969 edition is
> https://archive.org/details/SNELLING__SOFT-FERRITES__1969
>
> and it's not like the properties of magnetic fields have changed.

Cool! Thanks a lot! I was looking for this, but couldn't find it.
I somehow missed that archive.org had a copy.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 07:25:57 -0400
Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here in the USA, iron powder and ferrite cores of many different materials,
> sizes, and a few shapes are available from Amidon and kitsandparts.com.
> Many useful ferrite cores for multi-turn transformers and chokes, are sold
> as "EMI beads" by Mouser and Newark and other mainline distributors. I
> don't know too much about easy availability in EU.

Buying cores is not much of a problem. For one there are the distributors
you have mentioned, for another we have companies like Würth here in
Germany and Coilcraft in the US who are no afraid of selling single pieces
(if they dont just regard it as samples).

BTW: I really like to work with Würth. I know very few components companies
that go so much out of their way to help a struggling engineer to get his
project done. And they never ask about the volume of your project. You need
help, you get help.

Thanks for all the replies and suggesttion. And sorry if I don't answer all
of them individually.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.