[time-nuts] Greetings from Australia

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 06:02:18 UTC 2015

Hi Guys :)
I thought I’d say thanks for the add to the group and introduce myself.
[]
I have a question…
Is the reason most amateur radio people care about accurate frequency mostly
about
operating at higher radio frequencies?
I imagine if a bunch of radio enthusiasts aligned their HF radios with
atomic standards for use
on those bands that doppler shift would ruin everything the additional
hardware put into it.
Cheers, Brek.
=============================

Welcome, Brek!

It isn't just frequency, but time as well.  There are some modes where the
time needs to be known to within about 1/10 second, which can be easily
achieved running NTP on Windows PCs.  Having a local GPS-locked stratum-1
server based on a PC (Windows or Linux) or Raspberry Pi makes this
independent of needing an Internet connection - e.g. for field work.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk