[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt NMEA ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 20:11:23 UTC 2015

I'll second that.  I had a sailboat a while back with about 1/2 dozen NMEA
devices off all kinds (GPS, Water speed sensors, Wd speed and direction,
magnetic compass and so on).  All feeding the nav system.   NMEA was
designed for marine navigation networks.

Th spec is really poor for timing in that the data is valid "within the
current second"  That means that it could be up to one second old.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> NMEA is normally used for navigation. It would seem unlikely that anyone
> would want to use a Thunderbolt for navigation. Can you elaborate on what
> you are trying yo do?
>
> Didier KO4BB
>
> On February 25, 2015 10:11:08 PM CST, Tim <timt at skybase.net> wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Is there a way to get NMEA instead of TSIP out of a Thunderbolt ?
> >
> >Failing that, is there some translating device that I can insert
> >between
> >the Thunderbolt and another device that is expecting NMEA ?
> >
> >thanks
> >
> >Tim
> >
> >--
> >VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

> >and follow the instructions there.
>
> --
> Sent from my Motorola Droid Razr HD 4G LTE wireless tracker while I do
> other things.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California