[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt NMEA ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 01:44:24 UTC 2015

What NMEA sentences does this device accept?  It would not be hard to make
a small uP device like say an Arduino that would output those NMEA
sentences using data it gets from the TB.    The data rate is very slow so
even the smallest uP would work.  None of this NMEA stuff is very time
critical either.  It's the PPS that does the timing.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Tim <timt at skybase.net> wrote:

> On 3/03/2015 4:33 AM, Didier Juges wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> NMEA is normally used for navigation. It would seem unlikely that anyone
>> would want to use a Thunderbolt for navigation. Can you elaborate on what
>> you are trying yo do?
>>

>>  Hi Didier,
>
> I' building a multi frequency beacon based on QRP-labs U3 beacon kit. It
> has the ability to discipline its oscillator with a PPS input and, using
> NMEA input, set and maintain time and location for exact control of WSPR
> and OPERA modes of operation.
>
> As it currently only accepts NMEA input I was wondering there was a way to
> get NMEA out of a thunderbolt. I've lodged an RFE with the developer to add
> TSIP support to the U3, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime
> soon.
>
> I'd rather use the Thunderbolt as the time and PPS source since its way
> more accurate than the LEA-M8FGPS module that optionally comes with the kit.
>
> I'd like to use the U3 as the basis of beacons all the way to 10GHz and
> the Thunderbolt is a superior device for locking such things and supplying
> the base 10Mhz to lock the appropriate LO's.
>
> thanks
>
> Tim
>
> --
> VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California