[time-nuts] 50 ohm Driver

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:16:02 UTC 2015

Building on top of John's comments, if you are using a logic gate, look at
the
maximum output (pull up) current per pin, set the series resistor so that
this
current is not exceeded into a short, then also see if there is a maximum
total
current draw for all gates combined, or some power input pin, and do not
exceed
that.

You can also look at switching the termination resistor from a simple 50 Ohm
resistor to ground, to a "Thevenin" load, which is 100 Ohms from +V to the
load point,
and another 100 Ohm resistor from the load point to ground. This way you
still have a 50 Ohm termination, but only draw one half the DC current.
In the event of no input, the receiver voltage will go to half scale. Make
sure your system will not misbehave when this happens.

Alternate driver is to use a video line driver with sufficient bandwidth.

--- Graham / KE9H

==