[time-nuts] NTP stratum 1 appliances with different (GPS, etc) cores...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:17:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Bob Darlington <rdarlington at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I run a Symmetricom Syncserver S300 at home and am trying to convince the
> fine folks at work that running "ntpdate" every 15 minutes is about the
> worst possible way to set time.

Best way to explain the difference is to use a real spring driven clock as
an example.   ntpdate is like seeing the hands to the correct time while
the normal mode (running ntpd) is like adjusting the fast/slow lever such
that you never have to set the hands.

Also ask some one to compute a time interval on a spring driven clock,
while they are doing it adjust the hands on the clock several times.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California