[time-nuts] ADEV noise floor vs counter gate time

jpbridge at aol.com jpbridge at aol.com
Tue Mar 17 09:57:35 UTC 2015

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your detailed response.

I use the E? command because it returns results at the gate time intervals rather than at the LCD update rate (as you point out). I think that this is working correctly because I get very different file sizes.

The numbers are returned as strings of 10 digits - here are some for 1 second gate:

 90.00006359e+0Hz

90.00007591e+0Hz

89.99999640e+0Hz

89.99998740e+0Hz

90.00006007e+0Hz

89.99996040e+0Hz

90.00008648e+0Hz

90.00008472e+0Hz

90.00011465e+0Hz

90.00014459e+0Hz

I generally use the frequency mode but I also tried time period and found I got the same curve in essence, which was comforting in a way but showed it wasn't rounding in converting to frequency.

The numbers above, on my calculator at least don't exactly match counts of 20 nanosecs.

Here are some time period results:

11.11107736e-3s

11.11110130e-3s

11.11110769e-3s

11.11110435e-3s

11.11110593e-3s

11.11110022e-3s

11.11114000e-3s

11.11110000e-3s

11.11110370e-3s

Again they don't seem to be integer values of 20 nanosec exactly, though quite close. For example
11.11107736E-3/20E-9 = 555,553.868
555,554 x 20E-9 = 11.11108E-3

But I guess what it returns is the ratio of counts within the gate. So 11.11107736E-3 period will occur
90 times in a second (as it is slightly short) and so I should take the ratio:

90 x 11.11107736E-3/20e-9 = 49,999,848.12

so still not quite an integer but if I assume the count (of 50MHz periods) was 49,999,848 and calculate one 90 th of it I get:

49,999,848 x 20E-9/90 = 1.1111077333333

Still not exact agreement. I note that .12 is very close to .125 or 1/8 but I don't know if that is significant.
It is probable that it rounds the ratio in binary and then converts to decimal to print out.

I've tried assuming 89 periods and 91 periods but still don't get exact integer ratios.

Anyway, as I get good agreement between period and frequency measurements at 1 sec, I don't think that it is a rounding issue.

I do think it is a quantization issue down to the +/- 20 nanosecs/gate time but I can't quite work it out.

I'm currently doing a run at 0.3 secs gate time and I'll see what sort of curve that produces.

Tomorrow I should receive my new Tek counter (I went for the fca3100 in the end as I got a very good discount on an ex demo unit) and that should give something to compare (once I've worked out how to program it).

James