[time-nuts] Harmonics suppression in ring oscillators

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:08:35 UTC 2015

The "modern digital" model of gates having inputs and outputs is in fact a
simplified case. It's unlikely that a digital logic student today would
ever have been exposed to gate elements that can work bidirectionally (I'm
not talking about tri-state, I'm talking about logic elements that have no
preferred input vs output). In general, even symmetrical ring oscillator
circuits using elements that do not have a preferred direction, will settle
down into rotating one way or the other depending on infinitesimal details
of initial conditions. See in particular the neon-light ring oscillator
here: http://donklipstein.com/sillyne2.html

This is an example of "symmetry breaking", a term I learned in quantum
electrodynamics class!, and the reason particles have mass! I don't
actually understand the Higgs Boson but I do understand that neon light
ring oscillator because I built it long before I took QED :-).

Tim N3QE