[time-nuts] ADEV noise floor vs counter gate time

jpbridge at aol.com jpbridge at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 12:10:15 UTC 2015

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the pointers.

I should say that my results reported so far have been with my older TTi TF930 reciprocal counter, not with my FCA3100 which I have only just got (it arrived a few days ago) and I'm in the process of writing software to talk to it via the USB.

I did discover the website, in fact I'd downloaded the manual before buying the counter, and it is fortunate I did because the website for me didn't work - I'm currently talking to Tek support about it.

The problem is that to download software you must have your details registered. Every time I register my details and press the "save" button the site wipes all my details and returns to a blank form. When I try to down load the software it then stops me and tells me to update my details. I update my details and it blanks the form and so on... slightly frustrating. I've tried both Firefox and IE.

The other thing is that the manuals don't show on the European site (I'm in the UK), you click on them but the download screen just shows a blank line. I got round this by going to the international site and just closing the screen asking me for my area rather than responding to it - I had to do this several times.

I have now downloaded NI-VISA and have managed to do a bit of talking to the instrument over USB though I've not yet had time to do this properly.

So in summary - I'm pleased with my counter but the Tek website for Europe at least has some serious bugs which hopefully will be fixed soon. The Tek support person I spoke to on the phone was helpful but she wasn't in a position to fix the web site issues directly so has forwarded my case to Tek IT.

I intend repeating my TTi TF930 experiment with my FCA3100 when I've got everything working ok and am looking forward to seeing the results.

James