[time-nuts] Comparing the BeagleBone Black & Raspberry Pi asNTP servers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 08:22:03 UTC 2015

From: Neil Schroeder

The other key key key item is make sure you hand build yourself a 3.14 or
.16 kernel.

NS
=================================

Thanks, Neil.  I'm afraid I have neither the expertise nor the patience to
do that, and to an extent this was intended to be an out-of-the-box
comparison.  Doubtless adding a TCXO would improve performance as well, but
I will leave that to someone else to try.

I was really interested to see how much effect the extra Ethernet latency of
the Raspberry Pi added in a real-world scenario.  Thanks to Philip
Gladstone, I have now discovered a way of significantly reducing that
latency, so that the delay reported by NTP is reduced from ~0.51 to ~0.35
milliseconds.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/RaspberryPi-notes.html#EthernetLatency

Cheers,
David