[time-nuts] Lucent RFTG-m-XO failure to obtain GPS signal

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed Mar 25 21:00:14 UTC 2015

Have two of the late 90's Lucent L106B boxes. They are isolated except
for power and GPS antenna connections.
I've read the manual and the archived timenuts material that I can find
with Google.
My test equipment is limited to a counter and an oscilloscope. Have
computers but no S/W. DVMs, of course.

Both power up. After about 15 minutes, the red FAULT light goes out and
the green ON light is lit.
15 MHz appears at that outlet, six zeroes to the right of the decimal
point. The Efratom XO is similar.
The NO GPS light never goes out, except to blink when the antenna is
disconnected. Let it run 16 hours, no joy.
The manual (for earlier devices) says it will initiate a field survey on
its own, if it needs to.

The antenna is a Garmin low profile 3" unit, part number 00-89002-000.
Google and the Garmin site can't find it.
It seems to draw enough current, since the device knows when it has been
disconnected.

I no longer have any way to test the antenna, so I need to look at the
fault code from the receiver.
The receiver, presumed to be some kind of Oncore (the numbers on it
don't help) is in a metal box on a daughter board with a Motorola 68331
micro.

Is there a way to tell what's going on without hacking it from the basic
bits? Would really like to solve this problem.

Failing that, does anyone want them?

Have the matching L105A RB boxes, which fire up and produce 15 MHz. Also
female BNC to male SMA adapters.
Many pictures available.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Hawkins