[time-nuts] Tymserve 2100 thinks it's 1995?

Mark Strovink Mark.A.Strovink at mdnt.com
Mon May 4 18:23:19 UTC 2015

Bob Martin <k6rtm at ...> writes:

> Additional information --
>
> Power cycling (leaving it off for about 5 minutes) didn't do any good.
>
> Once at the correct time/date, it bounces back to 1995 at about 30 seconds
after the hour (now to Sep 18, 1995).

> My Tymserve 2100 gps unit (Rev 4.1) thinks it's 1995 -- September 17, 1995.
>
> But a restart (connect via telnet and give the commands util restart)
brings it back to the correct time and
> date -- for a while? I haven't caught it dropping back, so i don't know if
it's doing this on the hour, after an
> hour, or what, but I noticed it last night, and I've restarted it a few
times today.

> Any clues?
>
> I know about the off-by-a-second issue with the pending leap second. This
one is more interesting!

> So far I've just been issuing software restarts. The next time I'll power
cycle the sucker and see if that
> does any good.
>
> GPS signal isn't the issue; the 2100 shares an external GPS antenna with
my Thunderbolts through a
> Symmetricom 58536A GPS splitter, and the Thunderbolts are as happy as a
Thunderbolt can be.

> cheers
>
> bob k6rtm

What a great way to start a Monday: phone call that the entire domain was
back in 1995.

The good news: Tymserve units will keep the correct date in Free mode.

GPS handling, not the GPS signail, is the problem.  The GPS unit is rolling
the date over to its initial date once the date is past May 2 or 3,
2015.

The bad news: Tech support said the company will not be providing a fix for
a product 5 years past end of support.