[time-nuts] Microsemi versus Spetracom

Andrew Cooper acooper at keck.hawaii.edu
Wed May 6 19:58:47 UTC 2015

So, yes, our old TS2100's suffered the 1995 bug over the weekend like all of the others in the world.  Kludged into working for the moment using 1PPS and two units.

I do need to buy a couple replacements, good time is critical around an observatory, looking at a $16K purchase order.  We have quoted both the SecureSync from SpectraCom and the S350 from Microsemi, both fully spec'd out with IRIG and IEEE1588.

I am not really a time expert, just an everyday electrical engineer.  Thrust into the problem three days ago.  I have learned a bit reading through the Time Nuts archive... Thanks!

Anything I should be aware of with these units.  Any opinions on this purchase?

Thanks for your advice,
Andrew

Andrew Cooper
Electrical Engineer