[time-nuts] TymServe 2100 1995 Issue - A Kludgy Fix

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed May 6 20:28:28 UTC 2015

> Good, you understand my point. You need "external information" and "That
> won't solve the problem forever" and oh, well, yeah, duh, just "rebuild and
> reinstall the fixup software" anytime there's trouble in the future.

> To me this is replacing a broken GPS receiver algorithm with a broken
> Arduino hack. You're not solving anything except pushing a problem to the
> next unsuspecting user or customer. Worse yet, now instead of being part of
> a group of N people sharing the same TymServe problem, you are a group of 1
> with both a TymServe problem and an Arduino problem.

I think I agree with everything you said, but we didn't establish the context
before we started this discussion.  I was probably assuming a different
environment that you were.

There is a big difference between a time-nut with more time than money trying
to get a few more years out of some well-loved legacy gear and the IT staff
for a major bank or stock market.

There is probably an intermediate case of places like a telescope.  They have
smart people and limited funds.  Somebody has to decide if they kludge along
a bit longer with gear they have or spend the cash to do-it-right.  I was
impressed with the ingenuity of using the PPS from one box with GPS but wrong
date to feed another box with no GPS and the date/time set by hand.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.