[time-nuts] lawnmower robots may be the end of VLF timekeeping

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Mon May 11 15:10:22 UTC 2015

In practice it seems to be hard to fight interference issues at lower frequencies.   A local 50,000 watt AM (medium wave) broadcaster, put up a FM (VHF) transmitter several years ago.   One of the reasons they gave for going to FM were the interference issues on the AM band.   I noticed the newer electric trolly busses were significant sources of interference on my drive home from work.

I've largely stopped using my HF amateur radios in the city, and even at VHF the noise floor is noticeably lower in the country side.

Reception for my WWVB clock is also rather hit or miss from south western Canada but it does work on occasion.    I was however pleased that my 1.2 Ghz amateur radio activities don't seem to disrupt my own GPS reception despite less 15 feet of antenna separation.

Sent from my iPad