[time-nuts] Synths for FMT

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu May 14 18:44:55 UTC 2015

I'm thinking about sticking my toes in the water with the ARRL Frequency
Measuring Test. http://www.arrl.org/frequency-measuring-test

Frequencies used on the air, are 14121 khz, 7055 khz, 3598 khz.

A current idea, is to use my Z3801A's 10MHz output to generate a LO that
would be used with a mixer to convert the FMT's down to audio frequencies,
to be recorded by a PC's sound card and then post-processed.

Would feed the output from the mixer into one channel of the sound card.
Would feed 10MHz/10000 = 1kHz square wave (derived from Z3801A) into other
channel of sound card as a "Calibration" audio signal.

LO Synthesis ideas:

For 3598 kHz, make a 3600 kHz LO this way: Triple 10MHz to 30 MHz, then
triple again to 90MHz, then divide by 25 to get to 3.6 MHz LO. This will
result in an audio frequency circa 2kHz.

For 7055 kHz, make 7058.8(...) kHz LO this way: Triple 10MHz to 30MHz. Then
double and double again to 120MHz. Then divide by 17 to get to 7.0588MHz
LO. This will result in an audio frequency circa 3.8kHz.

Don't have any good ideas for 14121 kHz.

Any thoughts?

Tim N3QE