[time-nuts] Synths for FMT

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri May 15 11:11:52 UTC 2015

Hi

Some basic approaches to the LO issue:

1) Use a radio that is "fully synthesized" (R-1051 etc) off the GPSDO
2) Calibrate the radio with some form of synthesizer
3) Do both (trust but verify :)

A DDS running off the GPSDO is one way to do the calibration. A good old
100KHz / harmonics of a square wave type calibrator is another way to do it. In
this case the 100 KHz (or what ever) would come off of the GPSDO. A PIC
can be used as the divider and set to an arbitrary “magic number” that does
what you need.

There is a “sweet spot” in most setups in terms of beat not frequency. Lower
is better when you get into post processing (unless you play with some DSP
code). Lower ultimately gets into issues with audio rolloff and noise issues.

Lots of fun

Bob