[time-nuts] The GPS 1995 problem and the Heol Design solution.

Sean Gallagher sean at wetstonetech.com
Fri May 15 20:16:47 UTC 2015

Good afternoon everyone,

     So as most (all) of you are aware at this point what seems to be
like all of the Trimble Ace III GPS receivers have looped around their
entire lifespan and are setting the date back to 1995. This is affecting
many people with the Datum/Symmetricom TymServe 2100 units. My company
had two such units (we had purchased a second one when the +1 second UTC
thing happened not realizing it was a firmware v3 and 4 problem) and
also a slew of Datum 635/637 PCI cards which use the Trimble Ace III as
well.

     After some scrounging around on the web I found that a company in
France, Heol Design (http://www.heoldesign.com/), had created an Ace III
clone. I contacted them for some information and a quote on what sounded
the most promising. These were the N014 and N024 units which were quoted
to me as 85 euro for the 014 and 90 euro for the 024. I also asked them
if they thought their units would correct the date problem and they
reached out to Trimble who apparently was not able (or willing?) to
provide an answer. Olivier Descoubès with Heol Designs however was
willing to work with me for testing purposes and sent me 2 of the N024
units so that I could test and see if they would work as true drop in
replacements. I have attached the data sheets that I received on the
units as well for your viewing.  I'm not as technical as most of you so
maybe you'll see something that I don't get that you can work with.

     The units came in yesterday after COB and so this morning was the
moment of truth. Short answer to everything is they don't seem to work.
I hooked it in to both of my 2100's first the older Datum branded one
then the newer Symmetricom brand (although they look physically to be
the exact same underlying board) really just to try and cover all my
bases. I let the first one go for about an hour and the second for only
half an hour since I was already thinking this was a bust. While it was
hooked up though I telnetted in and went into the GPS menu. It gave me
my Lat/Long position and the satellites command was able to show me that
I had plenty of coverage, but it was unable to give me the time.

     After that I hooked it on to one of my 635PCI cards and got one of
my backup servers going. I started up the Datum application and it did
go into GPS mode which was at first promising. Typically with these
cards if there is a problem between the GPS receiver and the Datum card
then it will automatically come up in Time Code mode and won't even
recognize the GPS. I let it run for about an hour while I ran to lunch
and when I came back it had still not put out time.

     My guess is that these new receivers use the "Extended date" format
or whatever it's called that adds more bits on (3? - sorry I can't
remember specifics) to correct the rollover and changes it from 15 years
to like 157 or something like that. And it seems like this older
equipment that a lot of timing solutions use cannot handle this new
output and thus can't decode it. Again I'm just a Junior in college so
this is all just theory but it's what my gut feeling is.

     I've also attached pictures of these new units. They are the same
size and have the 8 pin stack. There is additionally a 10 pin stack that
I had to trim down to get it to fit. Also the antenna connector is an
SMB, same as the Ace III, however it is on the other plane of the board.
So if you were looking at putting it in a 635PCI card like me I had to
use tin snips and cut out a notch on the front plate of it to make it fit.

     So it looks like I had to take a page from Mr. Andrew Cooper's book
and have set up a rig like his using the two 2100's in unison. I have
GPS going into the older one which I have reverted back to it's oldest
firmware (2.84 I think) and thus avoided the 1 second problem. This
older unit is putting out a 1PPS into the newer one set mode for 1PPS
that is on V3.1 of firmware with the time and date manually being set
through telnet. Trying to do it at the unit face is not feasible don't
try it and I couldn't do this on the 2.84 firmware version for some
reason it wouldn't recognize the commands. A colleague of mine seems to
think for some reason that I might start getting drift again with this
setup. He said that the 1PPS may not be enough to discipline the other
2100 do you guys have any thoughts on that? It doesn't make a lot of
sense to me as it's just a pulse

     I had kind of a crazy thought earlier based on a project that I had
considered doing. I've seen on the internet that some people have taken
a Raspberry Pi and made a timing solution out of it. At least one using
what looked like the same type of Trimble III card.

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html
http://musingsfromthe8thfloor.com/2015/02/08/stratum-1-ntp-server-on-raspberry-pi/comment-page-1/
https://digitalnigel.com/wordpress/?p=1781

Does anyone think it would be possible to do this with these new
receivers and get it to work? Even if it was only used to discipline
some larger clock unit like the 2100? Or maybe even using the older
receivers but making the RPi correct the rollover problem somehow? It
looked like without me putting a lot of work into it I wouldn't be able
to get it going because of having to learn the pin programming and
electrical theory etc. And I unfortunately do not have the resources at
work currently to follow this line of thinking.

**** I have just received an email from Olivier and they are aware of
the TS2100 issue from a customer of theirs in France. That customer is
shipping them the unit so that Heol can investigate it in action with a
2100 and can maybe come up with a solution.****

--
Respectfully,

Sean Gallagher