[time-nuts] Terrestrial Tides and Land Movement

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat May 16 14:13:42 UTC 2015

On 05/16/2015 12:41 AM, Bob Stewart wrote:
> I did some idle searching trying to see if there was a relationship between terrestrial tides and timing receivers. I couldn't find anything useful, but I did discover that the Jersey Village area, about 2 miles northeast of me, is sinking about 2 inches a year.  So, my question is what effect do either of these, terrestrial tides or this local sinkage, have on timing accuracy?

If you're interested in finding out more about this sinkage and plate
movement, we are affiliated with the EarthScope system and have one of
their instruments here onsite.  The system map is at
http://www.earthscope.org/science/maps/current-status-map/ and details
about the plate boundary observatory component are at
http://pbo.unavco.org/  with the instrument at our site at
http://pbo.unavco.org/station/overview/P779

Positional changes of 2 inches per year should create sub-nanosecond
differences in signal arrival times.  The survey receivers used by the
PBO utilitize several techniques for measuring these very small changes
in position; however, as you can see by looking at the position data
(such as http://pboshared.unavco.org/timeseries/P779_timeseries.png ),
it's a long-term averaging that is optimized for position, not timing,
data, and the precision in the z axis is not as good as that in the x
and y axes by a factor of four or more.  For any given GPS frame, the
uncertainty of arrival time is more determined by ionospheric effects
than by absolute position.  Meteor scatter and multipath also play a role.

Now I am by no means a GPS expert, but I would think a receiver
optimized for timing would need different techniques than a receiver
optimized for survey, but I reserve the right to be wrong.