[time-nuts] iGPS?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 18 02:10:48 UTC 2015

Hi

“Orders of magnitude” more accurate …

Right now, you can get around ~1 M in most areas. One order of magnitude would be <10 cm.
More than one order of magnitude would be <10 mm. To me “orders” implies more than two, so that
would be <1 mm.

I guess everybody can toss out all their multi band GPS gear, there’s no need for it anymore.  No need
to put up all those expensive block III GPS sat’s either :)

hmmmmm……I do believe the marketing boys have been playing with the numbers. You would have to start
from a >50 M error to get them to make much sense based on what they are doing.

If you dig a bit more, Apple bought Coherent Navigation almost a half year ago. The main purpose appears
to be merging their mapping software into Apple’s ill-fated maps program. Given that Iridium is a “pay’
service (as in $$$$$) you probably will not see it in run of the mill cell phones very soon ….

Bob